Week 9 Reading and Writing


sourced from (https://imgur.com/gallery/Wa8UezO)




The image above was taken from a previous blog post of mine from the week 4 reading task.
The reading we had to do for that week was regarding 'Game Elements'. I chose this image for that blog post and this one because I find it quite hilarious because I have no idea how to properly explain Game Elements and this image just encapsulates my thoughts on that reading.
So far I have done all the reading tasks from week 1 to present. Each week has been a surprise as no reading task was the same as the one before and they were all fairly interesting. I would have to say one of my favourites was reading about the structure of a GDD and how to write up your own one.
I enjoyed this reading because it guided and helped me in writing my own GDD as I had no idea what a GDD even was before doing that reading task.
Not only did it help me with my own GDD but it also provided some insight into how game companies and developers go about coming up with ideas for a game and how they go about writing their own GDD.
Another reading task that was very informative was the week 5 reading which covered the topic of Games MDA. Before doing this reading task I had never heard of the MDA system but through reading some of the articles and researching some articles about it myself I got a better understanding of what the system covers and how it works and how multiple people from different backgrounds come together to generate ideas and bounce feedback off of each other. Through this reading task I discovered another system which is the SSM system. I looked at the similarities and differences and also at how the MDA system could be replaced by the SSM system or an integration of the two systems.
Going forward I would like the reading tasks to stay relatively the same. What I would personally like to see is shorter articles as my attention span is not the greatest in the world and I find myself losing concentration and having to read the same line multiple times before I can fully grasp and understand what it is trying to get across. 
The writing part of the reading tasks is alright, I like that you do not have to recite what the article is saying but give your own understanding of it and what you think of the topic covered. I would like to see the amount of links needed to be included be shortened as for some of these topics it is very difficult to find articles covering the same topic outside of the ones given in the reading task. I found it very challenging for some of the reading tasks to find more than one relevant link that is not the same ones given in the task for us to read. But apart from all of that I look forward to more reading tasks in the future and learning about more systems that I have not heard of before.

Comments

Popular Posts